Saturday, September 29, 2012

Hope

This week was one of those weeks that was just so full that your heart bursts at the end of it with a mixture of joy and exhaustion and relief and wonder, all at the same time. By yesterday morning, my heart was just weary and trying to express my thoughts in words was just impossible. To put it bluntly, I was a mess. I knew what I needed: some serious time with the Guide to Life Book. But my pride, and that old familiar Super Woman complex, kept bringing to mind that neverending List of Very Important and Necessary THINGS TO DO.

How is it, again, that our minds so easily forget just how amazing God's Word is? How good it is to just soak it up and be filled with the Bread of Life? Why do we allow such silly things as Facebook or email or dishes or cleaning the house to fill up our time until theres none left for the refreshing of our souls? My 'Martha' has been showing a lot lately.

So anyways...back to my purpose in this post. So I finally sat down with my Bible yesterday, and ended up reading 1 Peter, twice. The theme I kept noticing throughout the whole letter was that of hope.
Our hope is a 'living hope'. What does that mean? I mean, I would never even think of there being a dead hope. I'm no theologian, but since the very next verse (4) talks about the inheritance we can hope for as being something that will never fade, perish, or spoil, I think it means that this hope will never die. OUR hope can fail, we're human and we're all emotional. But THE hope of eternity, of salvation through Jesus Christ, will not. It's a hope that, as we go through life, encourages us to live as Jesus did, because when he comes again his grace will be made visible and unquestionably clear to us. (13-14) Its a direct hope, because God himself is the one who brought us a reason to hope! There isn't a messy chain of command to go through, nor was there any sort of material exchange done on our behalf. The process of our ransom went to the deepest possible extreme.(18-21)

It's good to be with friends who understand hope!

I could cover the whole book, but that would be a very long post...it's a good book to sit and marvel over. The complexities and yet also the simplicity of the Gospel. The hope of a home beyond all of this world. So praise to the God who called us out of darkness into his marvelous light, and fills us with himself so that we are now priceless children in the greatest Kingdom of all!

'But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.' ~1 Peter 2:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment