Monday, July 23, 2012

Just a penny

I'm curious to see if I'm alone in this. How many times have you done this:
You're walking somewhere when you see a penny on the ground. You feel compelled to bend down and pick it up, you can even picture the process. But then you chide yourself, 'Come on: it's just a penny!' And you keep walking.
How many pennies have you passed by this week? I can think of 5 this past week alone, and I'm sure there were many others that I didn't even notice. Sometimes I'm so caught up with what I'm doing that I don't even pay attention to where I'm going, don't even notice the ground my feet are touching.

What about other 'pennies' in your life? I've been thinking about the story of the lost coin in the Gospel of Luke lately, how the woman searched so diligently for the one coin that was lost and then rejoiced so greatly when it was found.

“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Doesn’t she light a lamp, sweep the house and search carefully until she finds it? And when she finds it, she calls her friends and neighbors together and says, ‘Rejoice with me; I have found my lost coin.’  In the same way, I tell you, there is rejoicing in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.” Luke 15:8-10

Since Connie and I moved across town into Central Fort Wayne, where our neighborhood is close knit and hard to be a hermit in, I think we've been getting a better idea of what it really means to be in ministry. I've gotten to know people I wouldn't normally choose to associate with. It's quite an interesting experience to be shaken up and shown just how unopen your heart is to to lost. I'm so grateful for this time of learning and growing, and some pretty awesome friends to share it with!

Some of our team

She holds out a hand to receive seeds,
Such tiny seeds, like cookie crumbs or grains of sand.
Before she pours them in the soil,
She pauses and stares, and can't help but wonder...
Can something so small become something great?
It's so easy to pass the pennies right on by, to think of them as
'just drug dealers,'
'just alcoholics,'
'just self-absorbed business people,'
'just angry teenagers,'
'just loose women,'
'just .....'

But people aren't 'just' anything. They have names, faces, stories. They matter. No matter what they appear to be at first glance, they are made in the image of God and each and every soul is precious to Him. They are worth our time. All of heaven rejoices when each penny is found, and so should we! I want to dedicate my life to finding the pennies. This week, it's been eating brownies and ice cream with some neighbors as we got to know each other, training the new and quiet employee at Panera, and delivering cheesecake to the neighbor who is on house arrest and couldn't join us for a party. What will it look like for you?
'See, even just a penny is a treasure'

1 comment: