Sunday, June 3, 2012

Just give me Jesus

I've had the song, 'Turn your eyes upon Jesus,' stuck in my head pretty much all week. One time while I was singing it, I tried to remember the first time I'd ever heard it and I couldn't. So I lost on a rabbit trail of thoughts about songs I learned from when I was a little girl, from when I was a toddler, and it hit me just how truly blessed I am. Even since before I was born, I've been surrounded by God's grace through my parents, family, my adopted grandparents and their family, Sunday school teachers, pastors, Bible quiz coaches, homeschooling moms-you name it! After thinking about it for awhile, I realize that there have been a LOT of Christians that have poured into this 20 years of life He's gifted me with! I've had so many people that intentionally taught me to turn my eyes to Jesus, whether by teaching me Scripture, songs, or just through sharing their heart. I don't often thank God for filling my life so full of Him, but I am right now. And realizing how many people He used to soften my heart to want to follow Him just makes me want to do the same for others.

The other day I was texting a friend, and had told her that I was just having a hard time and was really downcast. Her reply was, 'I just hope you remember that God delights in you!' It was like a jolt to my soul: there I was, wallowing in misery. Bogged down by stupid stuff. She pointed my eyes to Jesus, and reminded me of a simple truth that I had literally just been singing to my baby brother, Sammy. My housemate, Ciin, had just come home from a 5 hour shopping trip, and she'd had Sammy strapped to her back the entire time. She was exhausted, but Sammy wasn't so she handed him over to me, his 'sist-ah.' Ciin told me that Sammy calls Connie and I (his sist-ahs), 'ooh-ooh!' So I tried to get him to say it for me, and of course he just grinned and then let out a wail for his bottle. This baby is the fattest 8 month old I've ever come across, and I had to use both my arms to hold him. I told him I really understood why his uncle wants Connie to eat the same food he does, and I don't think he appreciated that comment. ;) So I decided to make it up to him and sang, "Jesus Loves Me," to him while he finished his bottle. He knows the tune, so he waved his arm to the music. I wonder, why do we consider it to be a 'children's song?' Why are songs that are really just simple, faith-filled praises seen as something 'the kids sing?' Children's songs are usually the first ones that pop into my mind when the hard times come. It's easy to get caught up in the messy, complex details of life, and feel as though we're able somehow to figure things out. But we're not. We can do nothing on our own, and if we fix our eyes on Jesus, we'll remember the things that truly matter, and all else will just fade away.



Jesus loves me! He will stay,
Close beside me all the way;
He's prepared a home for me,
And some day His face I'll see.
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
Yes, Jesus loves me!
The Bible tells me so.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
Look full in His wonderful face,
And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
In the light of His glory and grace.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean. Whenever I start to get down I do one or more of the following, depending on where I am: 1) Turn on KLove, 2) Sing a couple praise songs, 3) Pray, 4) Read the Bible, 5) Realize, that "this too shall pass", 6) Start doing something I normally enjoy (even if I don't feel like it at first, and 7) Count my blessings. Love you.

    ReplyDelete