Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunday afternoons are great for writing

“If you say the ‘F’ word ONE more time, Hannah Vincent, I WILL push The Button!” Connie threatened. To come into the room on this note, one would suspect that I’d said a horrible word, and was about to receive due punishment by the ever patient Connie Chandler.
My reaction to her fearsome claim was to nearly spew my mouthful of water all over my laptop-she should realize she is a very blessed individual because this did not actually end up happening. But it almost did. And therefore she should be more careful in her outpouring of witty remarks.
Fractions. That is the word which pushes Connie to pressing The Button, lately. Or prime numbers, or anything math related for that matter. Kelsey drove her to it the other night, by watching one too many online videos for help in tutoring 6th grade math. Every time Kelsey mentioned it, no matter how much we begged and pleaded, Connie faithfully fulfilled her promise and pushed The Button.
Play. That is The Button that Connie pushes in response to our “delinquent behavior.” But I suppose the more important information that you should know is exactly what pushing Play means. It means we have to listen to Justin Bieber’s “Baby” yet again-out of the three of us, Connie has Bieber Fever the worst, and “Baby” is her favorite go-to at the moment.
Back to the scene of the crime-after coming very close to soaking my (not so) very expensive electronic device, I caved and said the ‘F’ word on accident…and while listening to “Baby” sung by a cutesy 16 year old kid, exclaimed that I was going to blog about this painful moment. And now I have. So there.

On a more serious note, this past week has been one in which God reminded me in a big way that He is my provider, the one with the money in the first place. After hearing of three close friends receiving large gifts that will help them financially in their various ministries, I spent a day having a spiritual pity-party, reminding God over and over of my own financial needs (which really haven’t been so very pressing as they might be). On Tuesday at Women’s Club, Mama Odette helps downstairs with the kids, and she always asks me what I’ve read in my Bible for the day. Most days I wait ‘til the afternoon to do my reading, or whatever free moment pops up, but Tuesdays I’ve learned that I’d better do it in the morning. ;) And this Tuesday I read 2 Timothy. Yeah, the whole book. It’s pretty short, and I’ve been reading it over and over lately, soaking it all in. But 4:5 really stuck out to me this time, as it says, “But you should control yourself at all times, accept troubles, do the work of telling the Good News and complete all the duties of a servant of God.” It was as if God was telling me, “Hel-lo! Don’t you trust me? Get ahold of yourself, girl, and let me take care of this-you just focus on the work I’ve given you to do here.” I committed my pathetic little “problem” of finances to God, and my heart was light and ready for an afternoon caring for little ones. Mama Odette further encouraged me when she shared Ephesians 6:10, which says, “Finally, be strong in the Lord and in His great power.”
To make a long story short and keep details out, things happened that Tuesday afternoon, and I now have enough funds to cover 2/3 of my Uganda trip! God’s timing is perfect, and my head has known this my whole life…my heart, on the other hand, is a little slow in catching up. I’m so glad He is patient and willing to teach the same lessons over and over to such a slow learner as I. And I’m also glad He likes crazy people, like Amy and me.

Speaking of crazy people, on Thursday, Connie and I leave for a 5 day weekend at home! I get to have my friend Hannah Fodrey come along to stay with my family and I, and when I get home I have my new camera waiting for me-I can’t wait to get back to taking pictures to share more of my life here with you all. I’m better at communicating through writing when I have pictures to go along with my posts! A cell phone camera is so depressingly incapable of doing the job.

No comments:

Post a Comment