Wednesday, December 22, 2010

What is an Asiago bagel anyway?!

Here starts yet another blogging journey for me. I have this thing where with every new direction my life takes, I have to start a new blog, too. My old one just doesn't seem to fit anymore. Maybe it's crazy (ok, I admit: it is!), but that's just me. And when I think of a crazy new blog title at 2am, how can I not create another blog? ;)

But why now? Why this title? And how do you say "Asiago" anyway?

Well, I will attempt to answer all of those questions here.

Why now?December 2010, I made a decision that will change my life forever. Or, at least for the next 7 months. Actually, I made two decisions. Both are pretty big for Hannah Vincent, girl who never steps out of her comfort zone for more than 2 seconds. Both require some pretty hard steps, which in turn requires my Jesus for me to lean on. I know it's cliche, but it's true: He brought me to this, and He will bring me through this. There is no doubt in my mind about that!
First decision:I am moving from my home with my big family in little town North Carolina, all the way to big city Fort Wayne, Indiana on January 29th, 2011. My dear friend Connie introduced me to the ministry of International House earlier this month, and God tugged on my heart until I responded by commiting to serving the ministry, and Connie, for 4 months. All the details aren't worked out yet, but that's part of what this blog is for-so you can see along with me how God will bring this all to fruition!
Second decision: During the months of June and July, I will be (Lord willing!) in Uganda with my dear friend Amy, serving at an orphanage there. We aren't going with any church group-just the two of us. Neither of us have traveled outside the country before, so it will be a big adventure for us both! This type of missions has long been on both of our hearts, and we're excited that God has brought an opportunity for us to serve together! We covet your prayers as we work on getting all the details and paperwork completed to make this trip happen.
So hopefully that explains the 'why now' of this blog. My life was all comfortable and monotonous for about a year and a half after high school, and all of a sudden it's going at the speed of light! ;)

Why the crazy title?
Well...I'm so glad you asked. :) Does anyone remember the video series, The Donut Repair Club? No?! If you haven't, you missed out on a major piece of Christian childhood greatness! Anyway, to sum it up for those who don't know, the main song for the show has this line: "life without Jesus is like a donut 'cause there's a hole in the middle of your heart."
Now an Asiago bagel, on the other hand, doesn't have a hole in the middle. If it's made right, an Asiago bagel is completely whole with a delicious smattering of cheese on top. And it just so happens to be my favorite bagel. So I decided to name my blog "Life with Jesus is like an Asiago Bagel," 'cause there's NO hole in the middle of your heart. :) And I am so glad that Jesus is in my life!

How do you say Asiago?!Don't worry about saying it. I've heard at least ten different attempts at pronouncing it. Just call it the 'cheese bagel' and I'll know what you're talking about. ;)
But, if you truly want to know, the correct way to pronounce it is:
"Ah-see-ah-go"
Even if you call it Asianco bagel (and yes, I've had someone say it that way to me before!), it doesn't matter. As long as the concept of it is understood, I'll be happy. :)

The beginning of a new chapter of your life story is always exciting...and I hope you will join me as I go through this chapter of mine. :) 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited about this blog, and will be checking in often!!! (And I totally got the connection between the Donut Man and your title when I first saw it!!! LOVE it! :OD).

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exciting! And I totally got the name of your blog when I saw it. :D Brought lots of memories to mind!!

    *HUGS* It's so EXCITING what God is doing in your life, and you can be sure that I will continue to keep you in my prayers. :D

    ReplyDelete