Wednesday, March 5, 2008

An evening in the dark

Yesterday evening, we had some major thunderstorms come through our area, with tornado warnings and watches nearly all evening and into the wee hours of the morning.


Amy and I have started recently doing a bible study together, and we meet to chat on Tuesday evenings. I'd e-mailed her earlier in the day to let her know I might not make it because of the storms.

Around 6:45pm, Moriah and I were online (doing what else? Looking at cameras), when all of a sudden, the screen and lights flickered, and our power went out. The alarm across the street started blaring, and the only source of light we had was our one working flashlight, and Mom's cellphone light. After she called the outage in, we all went to the livingroom to wait for the power to come back on. Mom had Jeremy go outside with the flashlight to look for the matches he'd left outside, while Moriah, Mom and I started searching for candles, hoping we'd left at least a few unpacked.

Jeremy couldn't find the matches. He thinks the dogs got them and hid them under the barn (just lovely!!). Fortunately, Mom found some in a cupboard, and we lit the few candles we could find. Micah was as happy as could be, in the dark, but Karah was quite scared. Once the candles were lit, she felt a bit better, though.

None of our radios had batteries, so we had to resort to using my mp3 player to listen to the radio for warnings.
To pass the time, I taught Moriah how to swing dance, then we kids played Twister, Dr. Pretzel (a very fun game: if you've never played it, ask me, because you should!! *grin*), Simon Says, and a whole bunch of other games. We finally got sick of playing games, and Mom called the company to see if there were any updates about when we'd get our power back on.

Just as she hung up, the lights all came on! :D And, it was literally only 3 minutes before Amy and I were supposed to chat!!

As I started up the laptop, I prayed, "Please let the power stay on at least until we're finished with our Bible study!"
Our study time went well, then as we began to talk about other things, all of a sudden the storm started back up, and I had to shut the laptop back down.

Coincidence? I don't think so. ;) Isn't God amazing?

5 comments:

  1. hey HannahBeth!
    Wow, that's neat how the power came on right before you and Amy had your chat! And then stayed on just long enough for it! Yes, God sure is amazing! :D
    Hmm, I've never played Dr. Pretzel... :)
    thanks for posting that e-mail forward about the dangers of TV too! It was really good! :)
    ~janna

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah, wow! Sounds like fun... :-) But I am glad that you were still ale to chat!!
    We had a thunderstorm last night and it was marvelous!! I can't remember the last time I was able to fall asleep to thuner, lightening, and rain!!!( we are so behind in our rain fall!)
    Oh, Dr. Pretzel is fun... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry *thunder*...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey HannahBeth!! :-)
    Yes!! God is amazing!! :OD I was so happy that He allowed us to chat!! :OD He is so good to us!!! :OD
    Thank You Jesus!! :OD

    Nope, I've never played Dr. Pretzel! :-P How do you play? :-)
    Thats nice that you all played games together!! :-) How long was your power out the 2nd time?

    Love you lots!!!
    Praising Him,
    Amy :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janna: Yes, He is!! :D I'm glad you liked the thing about tv...I almost didn't post it, but I'm glad I did!

    Beth Nell: I absolutely love falling asleep to thunder, lightning and rain! :D It's such an awesome thing to hear! I know...we're pretty behind in our rainfall too. :( But all this rain we've been having lately is helping quite a bit! :D

    Amy: I'm going to post telling how to play Dr. Pretzel. :D
    Fortunately our power didn't go out a second time, but we always have to shut the computers down when we hear thunder...we've had bad experiences with computers crashing because of getting struck by lightning. :/

    ReplyDelete