Tuesday, September 11, 2007

September 11th...



I don't remember much about 9/11....I was 9 years old, so I didn't understand much of what was going on. I remember being on our couch, with the rest of my siblings, and we were doing our school work when my Dad, who was at work, called Mom and told her to turn on the tv. I remember Mom being very unhappy, and she tried to convince my Dad that we didn't need to turn it on: we were doing school, she didn't want it interrupted again. I don't know what he said to her, but she turned it on after a few seconds, and on every channel was news about the towers, and as we were watching, one of them began to collapse. Mom turned the tv off and told my Dad to keep her updated, but that she didn't want us kids seeing this. I don't remember being scared, but I was definitely shocked. You didn't see a huge skyscraper fall to the ground every time you turned on the news, so I knew it was something really bad, especially since Mom had turned it off, which she rarely did, or does. We finished our schoolwork, while Mom was on the phone most of the time with my Dad, who was watching the whole thing with his co-workers. I don't remember anything else before that evening, when I went over to my then best-friends' house for a sleepover with just us. After dinner, I sat with her family as they watched the news, and all I remember was seeing the image of a man jumping from one of the towers. That scared me, and my friend and her sister as well, so we went upstairs, and, to help us calm down, my friend's older sister started discussing everything with us. She explained what was going on, and said that it wasn't likely anything like it would ever happen here, in our little hometown. The next day was my brother's birthday (Josiah), but I don't remember anything about it, what we did, how big he was...all of that memory is lost in the events of 9/11. I remember for weeks afterwards, that every plane which flew over us (and there were a lot...we lived less than a mile away from an Air Force base) made me stand still, worried that it would crash into a building, and all those horrible images would happen again, but closer to home. When it never happened, I finally stopped worrying about it, but I still think about it from time to time. Like everyone else who remembers that day, I don't think I'll ever forget it.

No comments:

Post a Comment